Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Saturday 2 August 2014

Life Framer Exhibition - Edition II - Alternate Lives

I went to the Life Framer Edition II exhibition during the week supposedly about Alternate Lives (diversity?); what a disappointment!! The photograph captions and details of the photographer are not displayed by the photo - you have to study a map to work it out, and there seems to be little connection or theme in the display, so you don't really know why certain photographs are grouped together.  Also disappointingly, I didn't see one image I liked or found interesting / challenging (unlike in the Edition I exhibition), although that may have been because I was generally cross with the curating / presentation, and frustrated about the lack of clarity of the theme, and therefore blocked by that point.  Looking back at the exhibition website afterwards (note list not in alphabetical order, not every photo displays and no ability to see an overview), I do like the image by Eric Brewer Immel - this relates with my general appreciation of "Far Side" style street photography - and I love the resonance between the ducks, the yellow wall and the curtain!  And why is someone sitting at the tumble dryers watching?...

I later found out that this image is called "Rest Stop" and can be accessed from Brewer Immel's website in the USA Revisited project (image 3).

All in all, this isn't reassuring, as this is an exhibition I was planning to enter one day.  I'll see what the next one is like, but they really need to improve their display to keep me interested.  For a start, if someone is looking at my photograph, I don't want them feeling that they can't be bothered to work it out from the map!


Websites:

No comments:

Post a Comment