Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Saturday 9 August 2014

Michael Freeman's Photo School - Street


The trouble I'm having with Street Photography at the moment is that my interpretation of the genre is more specific than other people's.  So reading through technical books about street photography often leaves me cold.  I found a lot of what Freeman describes in Michael Freeman's Photo School Street is more urban landscape, urban portrait or even travel scenes - even journalistic scenes.  So whilst this was an interesting book from the point of view of general photography advice, there was very little that I would describe as helpful towards my goal of achieving scenes of ironic juxtapositions, incongruence or bizarre situations.  For me, there absolutely has to be a twist or unusual resonance somewhere in the scene - that is the point of street photography.  And I think in this case, Freeman failed to address that.

All of this said, there is some great technical advice in this book, and I may well come back to it to get some themes for the street photography exercise in part one of C&N, particularly as I will probably need to broaden my definitions to get 60 photographs in one street!

References:
  • Freeman, M. (2013) Michael Freeman's photo school street. Lewes: ILEX

No comments:

Post a Comment