Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Saturday 27 September 2014

Transition Photography: Balfron Tower

A short while ago, I went to a Transition Photography exhibition of Balfron Tower, displayed inside Balfron Tower in London E14.  The exhibition was put together by some fellow members of Crossing Lines, who are interested in the changing face of the urban landscape in London.


I had never been inside such a building before, plus I had never been to an exhibition about social housing before either, and I had never been to All Saints before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  I knew that the photographers are very interested in architecture, social housing and regeneration, so I knew it was going to be different.  This was apparent even by the sign on the door of flat 89, which was on the 15th floor (I think...might have been 18th...).



Well my first reaction was about the amazing photography.  I'm always blown away by photographers who are able to, quite frankly make photographs of subjects that, let's be honest, aren't beautiful, look amazing.  These four below are by Peter Luck:


Beautiful printed, crystal sharp images, straight lines, and dramatic diagonals.  I loved the original display - photographs straight on the walls - in their natural surroundings!

I liked all the images I saw, but particularly those by Mike Seabourne, who captured the everyday objects found left behind in the flats that had been abandoned (that he had access to).  He captured the "traces" of people and I found these photographs strangely eerie:




Seabourne's approch to format and composition is very similar to what I previously described as "Grand Budapest Hotel" style.  These were very large prints and just wonderful.  This exactly the style of photography I'd like to perfect.

This project about Transition is ongoing.  There may be a chance for me to participate in the new year, when I've finished with Bleeding London....

For more information see: http://www.transition.photography/

and: http://thelondoncolumn.com/2014/09/19/balfron-remembered/http://thelondoncolumn.com/2014/09/19/balfron-remembered/

No comments:

Post a Comment