Waiting for Summer

Waiting for Summer

Saturday 4 October 2014

Assignment One - Post Script - Two Sides of the Same Story

A few after thoughts about Assignment One Two Sides of the Same Story (post submission):

First of all, I showed the work to the Crossing Lines group I belong to in the form of a power point presentation.  This is a group that is primarily interested in urban and social development.  The presentation seemed to be generally well received, and I was asked questions about the brief, planning, my own reactions to it.  One thing that came out of that conversation, which I hadn't realised at the time was that in the negative concept representations (the first of each pair), I was venting my own frustration at living (accidentally) in such an area.  The other point made was that my tight framing had excluded the environment to such an extent, that the photographs could have been taken anywhere - they did not necessarily represent Feltham as a study of place.  I explained that this was necessary due to the requirements to exclude any details that might influence the aspect of the story that I was trying to present in the wrong way.

Another perspective that I had meant to write about in my reflections and basically forgot at the time, was that there are also a lot of similarities and resonances in the pairs.   For example:
  • In pair A - the composition and colour schemes are very similar
  • In pair C - composition and elements (vertical and horizontal lines) are similar
  • In pair D - blue/yellow and diagonals
  • In pair F - red/white/blue
I also wondered post submission, if I could have reordered them so that a narrative of paths of conceptual travel could have been made.  For example:
  • Pair C - bust/booming (beginning of economic decline)
  • Pair E - cramped/comfy (impact on living conditions)
  • Pair D - decaying/developing (impact on environment)
  • Pair B - abandoned/rescued (neglected society / invested society)
  • Pair F  - deposits/withdrawals (life of crime/functioning economy)
  • Pair A - confined/open (prison/free life)
  • Pair G - pushing up daisies/new life (end of life (due to being in prison) / life goes on)
In fact, I wish I'd thought of this before submitting as it creates more of a narrative in this order!

p.s. in F - Withdrawals, I think I missed the shot.  Had I used spot metering and measured from the whitest point and underexposed by half a stop, I would have got very dramatic light/shade effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment